Like it or not, the city is the most popular running environment for most amateur athletes. That is why asphalt sneakers have the highest demand. It is worth taking a little time to understand all the intricacies and features of this type of shoe. The comfort of your run, the health of your legs and the durability of your sneakers depend on how correctly you pick up a pair.
Characteristics of a city sneaker
An important difference between the usual urban surfaces is their hardness and abrasive properties of the coatings – asphalt, concrete, tile, dense gravel paths. Running on such coatings is the least comfortable for your legs, shock load increases significantly. Moreover, the surfaces in the city, unlike rough terrain, are mostly flat and stable, and the leg almost always lands directly and stably. Therefore, sneakers for running on asphalt differ in the following characteristics:
- high cushioning of the sole ;
- wear resistance of the sole ;
- low torsion stiffness .
Sneakers with good cushioning soles absorb and soften bumps. It is in the technology of the best depreciation that the leading manufacturers of running shoes invest most of all.Trends in recent years boil down to the fact that while maintaining the same level of depreciation, sneakers have become much easier and more responsive.As a rule, several layers of foam of different density and elasticity are responsible for cushioning. Each of them dampens the blow in stages, softens the landing and adds comfort and smoothness to your run.However, globally, the approach of all manufacturers is different. Someone uses the achievements of the chemical industry, someone uses innovative design solutions:
- Asics and Asics Gel technology, on the basis of which the majority of models of running shoes of this brand are made. This is a special kind of silicone that creates an effective cushioning system. The material is placed in the appropriate places of shock loads: the nasal and calcaneal areas of the shoe. Learn more about Asics technology and sneakers on our blog .
- Adidas and Boost Technology. Specially developed foam material, which is a thousand separate capsules, is actively used by the company. This is one of the leading technologies on the basis of which the majority of Adidas sneakers are produced, which has also been transferred to the Terrex series. Read more about Boost technology on our blog .
- Mizuno and Wave Technology. The three-dimensional, rigid structure of the special sole element is designed to disperse the shock load from the legs when running. The wave-shaped design allows the shock load to spread more evenly over the entire length of the sole, providing a good and smooth roll from heel to toe. Read more about Mizuno Wave technology on our blog .
- On and Cloud-Tec technology. The unusual design of the sole has become the hallmark of the brand. The technology includes several individual air cells located throughout the sole, which provide softening only where necessary. No other manufacturer makes longitudinally cushioned sneakers. Read more about On Cloud-Tec technology on our blog .
Wear-resistant outsole with a slightly pronounced tread
Aggressive tread and soft rubber of the contact part of the shoe, so important for tenacity on the ground, wet stones and roots, are quickly erased when in contact with asphalt. Therefore, in the area of the heel and toe, which account for the bulk of the load, high-strength carbon rubber is used, and the tread itself is made low.
Consider the example above in a bit more detail. White midsole – Hoka Hupana gym trainer. It can be seen that there are no elements on it protecting against asphalt abrasive. Without exaggeration, we can say that with intense running training, such a shoe will last no more than a week – the sole will simply be erased.Nearby is an example of an Adidas Terrex trail best running shoe for high arches with a high aggressive soft rubber tread. Depending on the setting of the legs, certain elements of the tread will be worn out within a month or two. The sole is deformed, and the setting of the foot will be incorrect. The remaining items will also gradually fade.
Low torsional stiffness (torsion)
The predominantly flat surface of the coating does not create discomfort for the legs and does not require special torsional rigidity from the sole of the sneakers for stability during touchdowns. In turn, the increased flexibility of the sole allows you to work more efficiently with your foot. Such properties are especially important for trained athletes. After all, the lower the torsion stiffness, the shoes are designed for faster running.Of course, when choosing sneakers, factors such as seasonality and physiological characteristics of the legs are also taken into account. We examined in detail all the characteristics of the choice of sneakers in the article “How to choose sneakers for running”. Here they only touched on the basic properties inherent specifically to models for running on asphalt. Now let’s move on to the choice.